By: Joanna Matalliano
As much as I can’t believe it is already the holidays and not the hot-sunny days at camp, I am so excited to be writing to you all about how to survive through the holiday season with health and fitness! As it gets cold outside, it gets harder and harder to get out of our nice cozy beds and follow through with our workout routine! There’s time off of school, holiday parties, gifts to wrap and quality time to be spent with family and friends. I have a few tips and tricks to stay motivated during the holidays to get your workouts in .
- Find Your Fire: In order to maintain and overcome barriers to our successes, you must find your fire; your WHY. Why do you want to be healthy? Why do you want to see results? When you can see all the reasons you want to live this lifestyle, you can inspire yourself to achieve them. There has to be something that motivates you. Find it and go with it.
- Find Your Support System: You don’t have to live a healthy lifestyle alone. Find a few friends who continuously motivate and inspire you to be your best self. My two wonderful camp friends (RD Tori and Flappers GL Suni) have a group chat that we talk in daily. It doesn’t always have to be a conversation about fruits and veggies or cardio classes but knowing that they people who you can relate to are always on your side is a great way to stay motivated in daily activities. Support by others is sometimes all we need to reach our goals. It’s a little extra push that we can’t give to ourselves.
- Plan Ahead: Get a planner, sticky note your desk, set an alarm on your phone. Find what works best for you but plan ahead! If we schedule in when we want to do our exercise, and make it a scheduled event, we are more likely to actually do it. Its like writing down a homework assignment, or someone’s birthday. It’s something we need to do, and one thing we don’t want to forget.
- Get Your Family Involved: Family and the holidays go hand in hand so why not get them involved! There are many themed 5k (3.1 miles) running events like Thanksgiving Turkey Trots, Holiday Ugly Christmas Sweater races and many more in most local towns and areas. Take on this fun and rewarding challenge with your family! Tackle 3 miles dressed in costumes and feel good about it.
- Set a Goal: When setting a goal it is important to know your bodies limits and to set goals that are attainable and realistic. Start small, get to that point and keep climbing! Although you should have your limitations in mind, the ultimate goal should be to push past your limitations. You ultimately have no limits when you set your goals accordingly.
- Give Yourself Time: No one wants to hear this one but results take time. Do not get frustrated when you do not see the results you want right when you want them. You must put forth effort CONSISTENTLY and CONTINUOUSLY.
The best gift you can give yourself this holiday season is HEALTH! Remember that. Thanks CP friends for being my favorite gift!