By: Hannah Gill
Have you ever realized how much water we drink when we are at camp? Drinking water is very important while you are at weight loss camp during the summer. As the weather gets cooler we may find ourselves not drinking as much fluids as we do during the summer time at camp. But did you know it’s just as important to ensure we are staying fully hydrated during the winter months? We need fluids to maintain our bodies’ temperature during not just extreme heat (in the summer) but also when it’s very cold.
Water is one of the body’s most essential nutrients; it has many important jobs to ensure our bodies function correctly. Our body weight is made up of approximately 75% water and without water we wouldn’t be able to live longer than about 7 days!
Fluid intake can be of any source of liquid including caffeinated beverages, although opting for non-sugar sweetened options is best when helping to maintain a healthy weight. It is recommended females aim for 6-9 cups of fluid per day, although this varies individually depending on your age and weight. Also your fluid intake will need to be increased if you are participating in physical activity or if the weather is very hot or very cold.
Some top tips to increasing your fluid intake include:
1. Carry a water bottle around with you, this can help to remind you to take a drink during the day.
2. We can mistake hunger for thirst, have a drink when you feel hungry to ensure it is true hunger.
3. Start the day with a glass of fat free milk, water or a small glass of fruit juice- all a great way to kick off the day.
4. Not a fan of regular water? Try adding your favourite fruit to flavour the water, my favourite is fresh strawberries sliced in the bottom of my water bottle.
5. Opt for water over caffeinated drinks; try to limit your intake of drinks containing caffeine (including soft drinks) to 3 cups per day